Canon in relation to RPG’s and MMORPG’s can be a very tricky subject and it can inspire rather heated debates among the player bases for various reasons. One of the main reasons is that there is sometimes considered to be several different types of canon. But first lets define what canon itself actually means within this kind of setting then we can look at the different subgroups that can fall under it when roleplaying long term in these kind of scenarios, for sake of this post I’m going to loosely dub them; Realm Canon, Guild Canon, and Head Canon.
More Articles in the Beyond the Basics Series:
- Beyond Basics: Loaded Lore – The Horde Part 1
- Beyond Basics: Loaded Lore – The Horde Part 2
- Beyond Basics: Roleplaying Bar Staff
- Beyond Basics: Balancing IC and OOC
- Beyond Basics: All Kinds of Canon
- Beyond Basics: Six Good Roleplay Habits